Saturday 23 February 2013

2:28

1 °C|°F
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 75%
Wind: 6 mph




You open your eyes and greet a new day. You ponder on things to do after getting up and you move on with the aim of going through that day as smooth as possible. There could be a schedule or there could be none. But the truth is, we all have a pattern to follow or do from the very second that we start our day.

But like a crack in a surface, at one point in that cycle, the idea of escaping loomed over your head already like nimbus cloud ready to pour. 

We've been all stuck somewhere before. We've been monotonous. We've been preordained. But as humans, deep inside our hearts is that insatiable hunger to break free. 

When I was a young boy, I was probably 9 when I realized that there is a world waiting for me out there. Beyond the borders of our lonely town, beyond the hills, and the rivers separating us from the capital. I remember that before, an aunt who lives in Manila would visit us every quarter of the year, and with her were boxes of donuts from the city. I can still remember the exact taste of those donuts. For me, it was the taste of a life beyond what I could imagine. Every bite filled my soul with the will to discover that world. 

My soul was filled with dreams and visions of adventure that when the time came, and I was ready, I took that leap of faith and traveled to a place that is a stranger to me. The lights of the city blinded me when I met Manila. The noise,music to my ears, and the concrete like a skin ready to be touched and discovered. I was very curious and very eager. And I was observant. But as time went by, when I felt that every move that I was doing started being repetitive, I got scared and I felt a hole in my heart again. I wanted more and I was afraid then that I was being impractical. At first I focused to be normal. I didn't know that I was trying to fight my dreams and my fate. I didn't know that I was silently dissolving away with the rest of what is static in the city.

I always hated looking at perfect things. A perfect porcelain, a perfect glass, a perfectly knotted necktie. It has a claustrophobic effect on me. I want to break things, then put them back together. I'm always craving for a diversion, surprises, new discoveries. Monotony kills me like a nail drilling in my freedom. 

I believe that we don't have to be afraid of freedom. Life is a very unstable element. And we don't have a control over it. Control is an illusion. We're all like glasses filled with water slowly evaporating into the thin air. Without any warning, our glasses could run dry, leaving you thirsty for life. That open door is for us, make that step. And after the adventure, you'll realize that it has given you not just freedom, but the wisdom and courage to stay and break the order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment